The scope of IRO duties is summarized as follows:
1. Identify industry needs by conducting surveys as appropriate
2. Promote IEEE to industry by informing them about IEEE benefits and its available products and services. Refer to Appendix J for a list of these benefits.
3. Highlight the benefits of joining IEEE to the industry employees
4. Create & maintain a database on companies and contacts
5. Encourage networking between IEEE members in industry and academia
6. Establish synergy among academia, research and industry
7. Convince IEEE to position its products & services better towards industry’s needs
8. Promote members and volunteer’s involvement with industry and community
9. Cooperate with Section, Chapter and Student Branch representatives in developing contacts and relationship with the industry and community
10. Interact with IEEE entities such as R8 IRC, Chapters and other Sections.
11. Support IEEE local and regional conference activities by encouraging conference organizers to introduce Industry tracks/sessions as well as continuing educations for industry professionals
12. Provide two reports annually to the IRSC Subcommittee.
IRO functions can be summarized as follows:
1. Ensure that the Section establishes and maintains contacts and links with local industries, national societies and other organizations.
2. Provide guidelines and support to the Section, Chapter and Student Branch representatives and others as required
3. Distribute information regarding IEEE activities, useful when establishing industry contacts.
4. Identify local needs in order to allow IEEE to adapt its offerings of standard – and/or tailored products and services.
5. Facilitate development of tools and material to communicate with local industry and community
6. Recruit and promote volunteers from industry in Section and Chapter leadership
7. Bridge the gap between IEEE members in local industry and academia by encouraging networking among both sectors.
8. Establish synergy among academia, research and industry with the aim to develop technology innovation and to create spin offs SME and employment.
9. Promote continuing education programs and other local events with industry
10. Support local conference activities within societies or sections
11. Conduct periodic visits to major industries and provide presentations as necessary to promote IEEE activities